‘Tis the season to be jolly, where mince pies are munched, carols sung and mulled wine warms your soul… so instead of braving the cold, I have put together a gift guide of some of the best presents for theatre lovers this festive season.
- Backstage Tours. Many theatre’s offer a glimpse of what it’s like backstage at a bustling theatre. You can delve into history, costume departments and props, so why not book a tour of their best-loved theatre? The Royal Opera House, The Old Vic and Drury Lane offer an amazing eye-opening experience. Prices range from £9 – £20
2. Props Cushion. Always fancied owning a theatre prop? The National Theatre have created a playful collection of stationary and homeware with beautifully drawn props from their productions. I love this colourful cushion, with drawings of the props ranging from Henry V to Frankenstein. £35.00
4. Stage Faves Mug. For the musical theatre lover, support your favourite performer with Stage Faves’ range of merchandise from mugs to T-Shirt’s. You can have Idina Menzel with you at your desk. From £8.99
5. ATG Theatre Card. For a frequent theatre-goer the ATG card offers you great discounts on food and drink at any of the 21 Ambassador theatres, plus you get access to priority booking, ticket deals and opening night offers. Great stuff. A years membership from £35.00.
6. Theatre Tokens. Can’t decide which play or musical to book? Theatre Tokens are the perfect gift to let them pick a show of their choice. Accepted at over 240 venues, the world’s your stage! Tokens from £5.00.
7. Colour Me Good Benedict Cumberbatch. One of THE theatre productions of the year was Mr Batch in Hamlet. Now you can spend your time whiling away the hours colouring in this handsome actor with this perfect stocking filler. £7.50.
8. Gypsy Musical Soundtrack. Now onto THE musical production of the year – Gypsy. It may have sadly finished *sniff* but you can listen to Imelda belt out the sensational songs time after time with the fabulous cast recording. £9.99.
9. Digital Theatre. So you’ve eaten too much turkey to make if off the sofa to catch a matinee, but don’t fear, the great chaps at Digital Theatre can bring some of the best shows right to your living room on Smart TV, smart phones, iPads or online. Buy or rent productions such as Richard Armitage in The Crucible or Toby Stephens and Anna Chancellor in Private Lives, there’s a great selection. Rent from £1.99
10. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Acting. Ever fancied a career in theatre #dear? The anonymous West End Producer shares a mischievous insight about what it’s like to work in the acting business. In his book he offers tips and tricks with hilarious and witty stories all to help kick-start a career in showbiz. £8.24